Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Shopping Local- Farm Fresh Produce

Growing up in a small town I did not realize much difference between shopping local and buying from major stores.  I think this mostly because we did not have any major stores.  The only chain restaurant we had was Hardees for goodness sake.  So, a few years back when a craze for shopping local began I jumped on board, especially when it comes to food!   People who live in Raleigh have no idea how fortunate they are to have so many easy ways to buy local produce.  For one we have a massive farmers market that is open year round and offers a ton of in-season produce as well as baked goods, seafood, and plants!  As much as I love weekend trips to the farmers market I sometimes find myself  unsure of what to buy and how much before it would spoil.  So I started doing some research in local CSA's and produce delivery services.  Turns out we have a plethora of them and in spring 2011 I found this gem ...

\

Lee's Produce is a farm located on the Johnston/Sampson county line that harvests fresh fruits and vegetables then offers a home delivery service to those in the triangle.  If that doesn't sound cool enough their prices are incredible affordable, between $18-$25!  I really cannot say enough about how much I  love cooking my favorite vegetables as well as trying new ones without a lengthy expensive trip to the grocery store.  


Here is an example of what I received a few weeks ago...
bib lettuce
basil & cilantro plants
spinach
kale
sweet potatoes
strawberries
asparagus
cherry tomatoes

If you live in the Triangle area check out Lee's Produce and get your veggies this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment